Configuring Purchase Documents
If necessary, you can configure certain purchase document settings to better match the needs of your organization. The sections below provide details on how to do this.
Automatic amount validation
Whenever you receive an invoice from a vendor and convert this into a purchase invoice, Document Capture can automatically check if the total amount of the original invoice (often referred to as the imported amount) matches the amount you've entered in the purchase invoice. If you enable this check and the two amounts don't match, you won't be able to post the purchase invoice – an error will be displayed when you try.
There must be an exact match between the two amounts. However, it's possible to factor in differences in rounding accuracy if need be. Document Capture typically allows for a discrepancy of 0,01 currency units, but this can be customized in the General Ledger Setup or on the Currency Card, under Invoice Rounding Precision.
To set up amount validation, follow these steps:
- Choose the icon, enter Document Capture Setup, and then choose the related link.
- On the General FastTab, under Amount Validation on Post, select which types of amounts must match, if any: amounts including VAT, amounts excluding VAT, both types, or neither (i.e. Not Required).
Note that you can change imported amounts using the guide below.
Customization of imported amounts
When a vendor sends you an invoice, Document Capture automatically registers the total amount of this invoice and copies it to the corresponding purchase invoice that's created. However, this original invoice total – the imported amount – can be changed by certain users. A common reason for changing imported amounts is to avoid discrepancies caused by:
- VAT differences (if you post invoices using a different VAT rate than your vendor)
- The fact that VAT is calculated differently by different systems
- Rounding issues (if you use different rounding rules than your vendor)
To change imported amounts, follow these steps:
- From the Role Center, in the Continia Document Capture Activities section, select Open PIs.
- In the list of purchase invoices, select the one for which you want to configure the imported amounts. You do this by selecting its number in the No. column.
- The selected purchase invoice opens. In the action bar, select Invoice and then Change Imported Amounts.
- In New Amount Excl. VAT and/or New Amount Incl. VAT, enter the amount(s) that you want to apply to this invoice.
- Select OK to close the Change Document Amount page.
The new amounts are applied to the purchase invoice and displayed on the General FastTab, under Amount Excl. VAT (Imported) and/or Amount Incl. VAT (Imported).
Users capable of customizing imported amounts
In order to be able to change imported amounts, you must meet one of the following criteria, depending on whether or not invoice approval has been set up for the current company:
No invoice approval
When invoice approval has not been set up, you must be permitted to edit the CDC Document table. Two permission sets will grant you this permission: CDC-CAPTURE and CDC-SUPER. You must be assigned one of these permission sets by an admin.
Invoice approval enabled
When invoice approval has been set up, you must be configured as an approval administrator. This can only be done by an admin and is done as follows:
- Choose the icon, enter Continia User Setup, and then choose the related link.
- In the action bar, select Edit to open the Continia User Setup Card.
- On the General FastTab, enable Approval Administrator by toggling the switch.