Getting Started with Continia Expense Management
Expense Management is an end-to-end solution for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central that enables you to streamline and automate every step of your daily expense, mileage, and per diem management process. It’s easy to sign up and get started, and there’s no need for complex integrations, as Expense Management is already fully integrated into Business Central.
The following pages provide a good overview of key Expense Management features as well as insights into the latest developments:
- Business Functionality
- Basic concepts in Expense Management
- Automatic Import of Credit Card Transactions
- New and Planned
Expense Management typically involves three different user roles – two types of admin users and one expense user – who each use different apps:
- The expense user: An employee that submits expenses, using either the Continia Expense App (mobile app) or the Continia Expense Portal (web portal). Most expense users use the mobile app due to its high level of convenience, but the mobile app and the web portal are both well suited for the purpose and both include all functionality.
- The approver: A company admin that approves expenses submitted by the expense user. The approver can do this in either Business Central or the Continia Web Approval Portal.
- The admin: A company admin is in charge of overall expense management. The admin takes care of this in Business Central.
As the admin part of Expense Management is built inside Business Central, the user interface will be familiar to existing users of Business Central. Some things will be unfamiliar to both new and experienced users though. To get help with anything you’re unsure about, check out one of the valuable resources listed below. Which resource to use depends on your situation:
- Continia Docs (this site) – the official Continia documentation site, which features a large number of helpful articles for beginners, IT professionals and anyone in between
- Continia Learn – Continia's online learning platform with educational articles, videos, and exercises, completely free and accessible to anyone who's curious to know more about Expense Management and other Continia solutions
- Continia partners – the go-to point of contact for end users
- Continia PartnerZone – Continia’s dedicated learning portal exclusively for partners
All certified Continia partners are also official Business Central partners, and they’re all expert users of both Expense Management and Business Central in general. To find out more, see Resellers and Partners.
Only partners have access to the Continia PartnerZone and Continia Learn. As an end user, you’ll have to contact your existing Business Central partner for any queries that you can’t find answers to on Continia Docs.
Expense Management is an add-on that greatly enhances the user interface and functionality of Business Central. It does this by extending some of the standard Role Centers in Business Central, adding a whole new section that features a number of useful cues and action tiles.
This section, Continia Expense Management Activities, is divided into several cue groups, each of which contains multiple relevant cues or action tiles. The various cues relate to the management of general expenses, expense reports, bank transactions, mileage expenses, and per diems, while the action tiles perform different tasks and operations when selected. The following standard Business Central Role Centers have been extended with this section:
- Accountant Role Center
- Accounting Manager Role Center
- Acc. Payables Coordinator RC
- Bookkeeper Role Center
- Business Manager Role Center
The free-trial option is only available to users of Business Central online.
If you’re thinking about subscribing, you can try out Expense Management for free for a 30-day trial period. To do this, simply go to Microsoft AppSource and search for Continia Expense Management. Choose the related link, and then select Free trial in the upper-left corner. This will install Expense Management, which is then ready for activation and setup using assisted setup guides.
You must be assisted by your Continia partner when activating any version of Expense Management, including trials. This ensures that everything is done correctly, and that you’re off to a good start with the app.
Once activated and set up, Expense Management can be used to its full extent at absolutely no charge for up to 30 days or until you've reached the maximum number of registered Expense App users. Toward the end of the free-trial period, you’ll be asked if you’d like to subscribe to Expense Management in order to keep using it. If you decide to subscribe at any point during the trial period, you’re already up and running, and you can then continue your work and keep using the same data as in the trial period.
If you have questions about functionality or are unsure about anything else in Expense Management, you may be able to find the answers you’re looking for in the actual user interface of the app. Most fields have an associated tooltip that describes the field in question, and which usually also includes a Learn more link for further information.
If you’re unable to find what you’re looking for in the tooltips, please contact your Continia partner or check out the other resources mentioned above under Get familiar with Expense Management.
You can always subscribe to Expense Management to get the full version of the app on a more permanent basis, with absolutely no limitations. If you like, you can subscribe right away and get started immediately, but you’re also very welcome to subscribe at any point during or directly following your free trial period. If you start off with a trial period, you’re already up and running at the time of subscription, and you can then continue working with the same data as in the trial period.
As mentioned above, you must be assisted by your Continia partner when activating any version of Expense Management, in order to ensure that you get up and running properly.
Continia offers a range of other useful apps that streamline and enhance Business Central, and which you should really know about. To find information about any of these, check out their individual entries here on Continia Docs. You can also find out more on the Continia website or by selecting the AppSource link either here or in the navigation bar at the top of this page.
Expense Management on continia.com
Where do I go if I have questions?
Resources for Help and Support
Automatic Import of Credit Card Transactions
New and Planned
Resellers and Partners