Setting up Direct Debit
To use Payment Management Direct Debit and handle reversal transactions, you must enable the features in Continia Feature Management. Please contact Continia for the password to enable the features.
Currently, you can only use Payment Management Direct Debit with manual communication, and it is only available for Rabo Bank, ING Bank, and ABN Amro.
Before you start using Direct Debit, you need to set up a few things.
- Select the icon, enter Direct Debit Setup, and select the related link.
- On the Direct Debit Setup page, fill in the relevant fields:
- Separate by Sequence Type – enable if, on a new mandate ID, you want to export all the collection entries of the sequence type First before you export the collection entries of the type Recurring. This applies to the collection entries on the same mandate ID. For more information about direct debit collection entries, see the article Working with Direct Debit Collections.
- Process On Export – determine if you want to automatically process the direct debit files after they are posted.
- Show Reversals in Role Center – change the date range in which reversals must have been created, for the related invoice to appear in the New Reversals Cues on the Role Center. By default, the New Reversals Cues lists invoices where the payment has been reversed in the last week from today’s date (-1W).
By default, Direct Debit is activated. To deactivate Direct Debit, disable Activate Direct Debit.
A direct debit reversal is created when a customer rejects a recurring payment, and the money is returned to their account. In Payment Management, you can set up rules for how to react to reversals created for a specific customer or all your customers. For example, if a payment has been reversed multiple times by the same customer, you can set up Payment Management to put the relevant invoice on hold.
To create a reversal rule, follow these steps:
Select the icon, enter Direct Debit Setup, and select the related link.
Select the Reversal Rules action.
On the Reversal Rules page, select New to create a new rule, and fill in the following fields:
Reversal Code – select the relevant code for the rule.
Type – specify if the rule should apply to a specific customer or all customers. If you select Customer Specific, you must select a customer in the Customer No. field.
Required No. of Reversals – specify the number of reversals that must have been created for a specific customer before the rule is triggered.
Action – specify the action that must be performed when a reversal triggers the rule.
- Block Customer will block the specific customer, so you, for example, can't create new invoices.
- Invoice on Hold will put the related invoice on hold until you resolve the situation manually and clear the Invoice on Hold field on the related customer ledger entry.